Sunday, April 18, 2010

Communities

Hank Green recently did a VEDA video about being involved in online communities and local communities, and asked how we can reconcile the two.

This is an issue I've always struggled with. I love the internet and the online communities that arise from it, but I've always had this fear that participating in online communities means pulling away from more active involvement in local communities. I kind of miss life before the internet: I was more physically active, had more time for creative projects, was more interested in exploring the world around me, was forced to use my brain instead of turning to Google.

If I ever have kids, they won't use a computer until they're 10 if I have anything to say about it. They will have a real childhood if I have to move to the middle of nowhere to accomplish it.

I know, I know... Neo-Luddism isn't the answer. But I don't know what is.

No comments: